Bluebird Network has acquired its second data center, ColoHub Data Center, expanding its service reach to the Quad Cities. The new data center fortifies Bluebird Network’s 2020 infrastructure investments, enhancing the company’s network reach and doubling the company’s data center footprint. As a result of the company’s 2020 activity, Bluebird Network is poised to be the leading independent network and data center operator throughout the Midwest.
The data center, located in Bettendorf, strengthens Bluebird’s capabilities and its fiber network footprint throughout Iowa and Illinois. The company’s recent network and data center expansions are focused on enhancing service capabilities to the cities of Rockford, Bloomington-Normal and the Quad Cities. As part of the acquisition plan, ColoHub will be rebranded under the Bluebird Network brand, adding to the already unique capabilities available at the Bluebird Underground Data Center in Springfield, Missouri. In 2020, Bluebird Underground Data Center expanded its facility with an additional 11,500 square feet, significantly increasing mechanical, electrical, and power generation capabilities, now operating at full Tier 3 data center standards.
This second data center enhances Bluebird’s data center capabilities now offering disaster recovery, fully diverse from its Springfield Underground Data Center. Bluebird expects to invest in the ColoHub facility implementing various upgrades that will ensure the unique style of customer service already delivered by the Bluebird team since 1999.
Bluebird Network 2020 highlights include:
- In January and February 2020, Bluebird started off the year by completing a few build outs in Missouri, including Jefferson City and Springfield additions, which met demands for reliable, high-capacity broadband with 26 and 61 new fiber route mile expansions, respectively.
- In March 2020, Bluebird acquired Illinois Network Alliance, which allowed it to expand its network footprint in Illinois while strengthening the company’s fiber services and network solutions for cell towers, hospitals, schools, government facilities and other businesses throughout the Midwest.
- In April and May 2020, Bluebird added 21 new miles of fiber in Joplin, Missouri, and helped enhance fiber network penetration throughout Illinois with the completion of a three-network ring integration project.
- August 2020 saw continued expansion with network additions in Columbia and Strafford, Missouri of 60 new fiber miles representing Columbia’s largest ever fiber buildout, nurturing the city’s 5G capabilities and more.
- October 2020 was one of Bluebird’s biggest months. Not only did it unveil a new website with expanded customer capabilities, Bluebird also opened its first Internet Exchange (SpringIX) operating AS63203.
- November 2020 wrapped with Bluebird’s expansion in Hannibal, Missouri, which connected an array of small cell towers in the area in support of the city’s 5G network deployments.
Bluebird Network’s acquisition of ColoHub is complete as of January 1, 2021. For more information please visit www.bluebirdnetwork.com.