– John Consoli, Asset Vue, says:
With proper processes and some simple technology, like RFID tagging, data center managers and IT professionals can account for and locate every asset inside their data centers. Here are a few tips:
1. Create a better treasure map. Instead of sifting through spreadsheets or blindly searching for data center assets, like servers, storage and switches, we recommend developing an accurate “map” using RFID tagging and automated data center information management (DCIM) software to tag and track data center assets.
2. Obtain better information. IT pros are encouraged to make sure they have a good DCIM solution in place to correctly capture all necessary asset data and create a central repository.
3. Build a better process. It’s important to establish accurate and efficient data center asset management procedures that can be followed by the entire operations staff.
4. Focus on productivity and morale. Data center audits can drag down productivity and affect morale when assets are incorrectly tagged. You want to avoid a mutiny? Get this part fixed.
5. Seek better tools. Using a clipboard, pencil and a flashlight is often the default for data center audits. Better tools include RFID tags and scanners to tag and track automate the process.
6. Take one small step. One small change can make a world of difference for asset management. We recommend developing a specific plan of action that will involve every new asset that comes into the data center. Trying to tackle all the existing assets can be overwhelming. Instead, try starting with new assets and including existing assets over time. Don’t try to boil the ocean.
- Register for a complimentary webinar titled Data Center Treasure Hunt (How accurate is your map?) on Wednesday, March 26 at 2 PM ET at http://bit.ly/OizLD9
(0) Readers Comments
March 01, 2013
June 15, 2011
May 20, 2014
January 30, 2012
June 23, 2017
Hi i came across this article on the internet news service and i must
Microsoft Exchange Server is the best choice of the Small business, Ge
I am a Sergeant with our local police department our dispatch center h
"However, the single power supply serving multiple blade servers is a
Above posted Business continuity plans are direct and to the point.Bus